Automatic purging of old email in all mailboxes

Scott W. Sander scottwsx96 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 17:26:19 UTC 2016

I have now set those (with some modifications detailed below) in
/etc/dovecont/conf.d/10-mail.conf:

mail_uid=vmail
mail_uid=vmail
mail_home=/var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n
mail_location=maildir:/var/mail/vhosts/%d/$n

I made these changes relative to your suggestion to more closely match my
original settings.

After doing that, I modified /etc/dovecot/conf.d/auth-passwdfile.conf.ext
and commented out the userdb block.  After doing sudo service dovecot
reload, I was having the same problem as I was originally when I ran sudo
doveadm search -A NEW:

Error: User listing returned failure
doveadm: Error: Failed to iterate through some users

I went back in and added the following userdb block to
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/auth-passwdfile.conf.ext:

userdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-users
}

After doing another sudo service dovecot reload and then trying sudo
doveadm search -A NEW, I now get new errors:

doveadm(testuser at domain.test): Info: User no longer exists, skipping
doveadm(pfuser1 at domain.test): Info: User no longer exists, skipping

So at least I'm getting closer as it does see the two Dovecot mailbox
accounts I have in /etc/dovecot/dovecot-users, but it is acting like the
user doesn't exist for some reason.  Any more ideas?  I did not modify the
/etc/dovecot/dovecot-users file at all from my previous description.  Do I
need to modify that to include, at the very least, a uid (vmail), gid
(vmail), and userdb_mail locaiton
(userdb_mail=maildir:/var/mail/vhosts/%d/%n)?