autoexpunge clarification

Philon bytesplit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 07:40:48 UTC 2016

Hi Micheal,

the article is fine if you continue reading it to the next bullet points about IMAP, POP3 and LMTP. In short words…

When the user quits and thus closes his mailbox/connection, Dovecot quickly looks through the folders to clean up mails which are older then configured days.

In the past there was a cron job which could do this every n hours, days, … but this setting does this automatically. Still I prefer using cron which gives me more control over when this lookup happens.

User deinitialization is simply developer „slang" for user closes connection/quits his program.

Philon