expunging all mailboxes

Michael Fox news at mefox.org
Sat Dec 31 06:53:08 UTC 2016

> Huh, it certainly did for me, although I used "all" instead of
> "savedbefore 30d" since I just wanted to empty the trash. What
> version of Dovecot? Mine is 2.2.27.

Well, not for me.
doveadm search -u user at domain ALL savedbefore 2d
-- returns some messages
doveadm expunge -u user at domain mailbox '*' savedbefore 2d
-- nothing shown, but no error
doveadm search -u user at domain ALL savedbefore 2d
-- returns the same messages as before

I've got 2.2.9 (Ubuntu package for 14.04)

> I guess that's reasonable for a critical application, but normally I
> would expect an IMAP client to request headers-only, or just recent
> messages. My phone's K9 client defaults to something like 2 weeks.

Right.  But your phone has 100s of kbps or even Mbps of bandwidth, full
duplex.  But when multiple users are sharing a simplex 56kbps radio channel,
even just the headers of old/irrelevant mail are to be avoided.

Michael