Disable Client Certificate Authentication for Unencrypted Connections?

Haravikk dovecot at haravikk.me
Tue Feb 2 13:15:13 UTC 2016

That definitely seems promising! Though I’m a little uncomfortable about having to apply a patch to make it work.

However it’s got me curious; could I do something similar by defining a second IMAP protocol? Since the protocol !smtp option can enable client certificates for only some protocols, it seems like if I could copy (or symlink) the IMAP protocol into a second IMAPS protocol then I could possibly create the exception using protocol !imap !smtp, could something like that work? Of course I don’t know enough about how dovecot’s protocol modularity works, so I’m not sure what this would involve exactly, but if it could avoid the need for patching it might be a nice way to achieve the same goal.