Accessing to mail as another user

Marco Giunta giunta at sissa.it
Mon Feb 15 08:18:07 UTC 2016

Hi,
we have such configuration in our Dovecot; it is configured with virtual
users and acl. To enable access of userA mailbox to userB, first I have
to add userB to userA acl, and then I put userA username in an
ARBITRARY_FIELD of userB record in our ldap (if you use a db for your
account, the configuration could be more simple). We use the
ARBITRARY_FIELD to limit the access of other users mailboxes: the field
is not writable by the user, only by administrators.

Our config files:

/etc/dovecot/conf.d/auth-master.conf.ext
passdb {
   driver = ldap
   master = yes

   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.masterusers
   pass = yes
   default_fields =
userdb_mail=maildir:/path_to_mailboxes/%1{login_user}/%{login_user}:INDEXPVT=/path_to_indexes/%1n/%n/shared/%{login_user}
}

and in /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.masterusers
pass_attrs = uid=user,userPassword=password
pass_filter =
(&(uid=%n)(accountStatus=active)(ARBITRARY_FIELD=%{login_user}))

to login, you have to use the same way of a masteruser:

Login: userA*userB
Password: userB_password

Cheers,
   Marco