the prefix number of the configuration filename

Rich Wales richw at richw.org
Tue Feb 16 00:48:55 UTC 2016

> Hi all, I am very curious about the prefix number of the configuration
> filename, such as 10-auth.conf .... What are those meanings of 10,15,20
> and 90 ?

The configuration files are read and processed according to the sorting
order of their names.  Adding the numeric prefixes allows the order in
which the files are processed to be determined independently of their names.

So, in this case, the config files with names starting with 10 are read
first (i.e., 10-director.conf is processed first).  If the number
prefixes weren't there, then the "acl.conf" file would be processed
first (instead of near the end).

It matters what order the configuration files are processed in because
later files can override parameters set by earlier files.

Rich Wales
richw at richw.org