How to understand NFS lookup (requests) spike?

Alessio Cecchi alessio at skye.it
Wed Feb 17 08:49:47 UTC 2016

Hi, I'm are running a classic Dovecot setup:

About ten thousand connected users
mailbox in Maildir format shared via NFS (NetApp)
Director for POP/IMAP
Delivery via Dovecot LDA

All works fine but sometimes I see a spike on the load of POP/IMAP
servers and high disk usage (close to 100%) on NFS NetApp.

When this happens on NFS stats (of POP/IMAP) I can see an high volume of
"lookup, remove, rename" requests.

Example (avg is during normal load, max is request number during the spike):

Lookup avg 100 max 700
Remove avg 50 max 300
Rename avg 50 max 300
Getattr avg 200 max 250
Total NFS avg 600 max 1800

I think that some users are doing some kinds of "intensive" operations
on their mailbox but what and who?

I am currently using "iotop" to monitor the activity of individual users
but I can't figure out who is causing the high number of I/O requests.

Have you any suggestions?
Thanks
--
Alessio Cecchi