shared folders not working with . separator

Christian Kivalo ml+dovecot at valo.at
Thu Feb 18 16:14:52 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-18 15:21, Hugh Bragg wrote:
> Thanks, this helped.
> I added namespace virtual and removed the virtual references from inbox
> namespace and added list = yes so now I can see shared folder in the
> client.
> There's still nothing in there though.
>
> I followed Christian's advice, debug shows this very strange behaviour.
> doveadm acl debug -u user1 at domain1.com.au shared.user2 at domain2.com.au
> doveadm(user1 at domain1.com.au): Error: Mailbox 'com.au' in namespace
> 'shared.user2 at domain2.' doesn't exist in
> /var/mail/vhosts/domain2/user2/mail/.com.au
> There are no errors in the log.
You will probably run into problems with your unsernames containing "."
and have the separator set to ".".

Take a look at this (very) old thread from the mailinglist, that's the
same problem
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-January/056135.html

And as mentioned by Timo here
http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-January/056149.html
> In any case having '.' both in usernames and as hierarchy separator
> just
> isn't going to work.

I switched from system users to virtual users with my last server
migration and changed separator from "." to "/" just because of this.

It could be that auth_username_translation can help. Look in
10-auth.conf for an explanation for that setting. I haven't tested it
though.

> This looks like a bug. I was seeing this before I got the shared folder
> working when I saw dovecot had created these extra folders and added
> dovecot-acl-list file there.
> I suppose if I'd used the / separator, this would work fine, but there
> was nothing about this on the wiki so I didn't expect this.

You could also use "/" as separator for the shared namespace and the "."
for the other namespaces. As it's not working anyway there should be no
problems with your MUAs.

--
  Christian Kivalo