Automatically inferring %d on multi-domain virtual install ?

Gabriel L. Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 21:10:38 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 08:41:15AM +0100, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> >I'm trying to allow domain-less logins for a multi-domain virtual IMAP
> >server, and wondering if I can automatically infer the domain (value of
> >variable %d) from the local IP (%l) or the hostname used by the client
> >when connecting to my server.
> >
> >Let's say I have two host names: mail.foo.org (10.0.0.100) and
> >mail.bar.com (10.0.0.200), with forward and reverse DNS configured to
> >resolve A and PTR records in either direction.
> >
> >Let's also say I have 10.0.0.100 and 10.0.0.200 set up as secondaries
> >on my server's loopback interface, and routing is set up to bring client
> >traffic to me for both of those IP addresses.
>
> Hm, it should be possible like so:
>
> 1) keep the file you have now as 2nd passdb, in order to let your users
> login like now from anywhere
>
> >user1 at foo.org:{PLAIN}user1foo
>
> 2) from this file create another passwd-file with ExtraField via script /
> cron jobs, that defines
>
> user1 at 10.0.0.100:{PLAIN}user1foo:::::user=user1 at foo.org
>
> see http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields
>
> Maybe allow_nets could limit the clients further.
>
> Then add another passdb section pointing to that file using
> username_format=%n@%l
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile
>
> That will map domain-less logins to full mail addresses, which in turn sets
> %d, too.

That *almost* worked :)

I now have

  passdb {
    driver = passwd-file
    args = username_format=%n@%l /var/lib/topgen/etc/postfix/users
  }

pointing to a "users" file with entries such as

   user1 at 10.0.0.100:{PLAIN}user1foo:::::user=user1 at foo.org

The only trouble is, %d does not get set; I get new "user1" and
"user2" folders created directly under /var/lib/vmail/, which
indicates the %d portion is equal to the empty string.

I also tried

   user1 at 111.0.10.10:{PLAIN}tartans1:::::domain=foo.org

which the PasswordDatabase wiki page says should override %d, but
still no luck...

Thanks for the pointer though, now that I read the relevant bits of
documentation it feels like I'm really close, and this *should* work.
I'm still either missing something, or tickling a bug (probably the
former :)

Thanks,
--Gabriel