Automatically inferring %d on multi-domain virtual install ?

Gabriel L. Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 16:22:38 UTC 2016

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 04:20:07AM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> How about:
>
> passdb {
>   driver = passwd-file
>   args = username_format=%l /etc/dovecot/passwd.domains
>   result_success = continue
> }
>
> passdb {
>   .. the real passdb for authentication ..
> }
>
> Where /etc/dovecot/passwd.domains contains:
>
> 10.0.0.100:::::domain=foo.org
> 10.0.0.101:::::domain=bar.org
>
> So the first passdb lookup would set the domain based on IP and then continue for the actual authentication. Or if you don't want it to override an explicit user at domain authentication, this should also work:
>
> 10.0.0.100:::::domain:protected=foo.org
> 10.0.0.101:::::domain:protected=bar.org
>
> Not tested, but should work I think. At least with new enough Dovecot versions.

Apparently you werre a ':' short, so cut'n'pasting your solution
didn't immediately work; Adding an extra colon did the trick:

10.0.0.100:::::::domain=foo.org

Still working on "domain:protected=foo.org", which would be nice,
since it'd support all possible combinations of client settings, but
wanted to let everyone know your suggestion works for me, and say
thanks again for the tip!

Thanks,
--Gabriel