Alternative storage backend for Dovecot

Oleksandr Natalenko oleksandr at natalenko.name
Mon Feb 29 11:31:29 UTC 2016

Hi.

We have corporate Dovecot setup with GlusterFS as file storage. We store
maildirs on GlueterFS share, mounting it via NFS. Mounting share via
native GlusterFS FUSE client introduces visible performance overhead.
Also, NFS mount does not provide us with HA.

That's why I have an idea to use GlusterFS C API to access maildirs
share. I'd like to preserve maildir structure, but get access to it not
via FS mount point but with GlusterFS C API calls.

I've discovered that Dovecot source tree has src/lib-fs infrastructure
with fs-posix implemented on top of it. Is that the right place to start
from? GlusterFS C API calls are POSIX-like, so they could be easily used
as substitutions for VFS ops. Could such a backend be implemented as
separate plugin?

Are there any examples of alternative storage backend to look at?

Thanks.

Regards,
   Oleksandr.