Mapping of INBOX.INBOX breaks imapc_list_prefix=INBOX?

Peer Heinlein p.heinlein at heinlein-support.de
Wed Jan 6 16:47:41 UTC 2016

We're running a huge imapc-Migration from an old Courier-IMAP to Dovecot.

Courier always uses "INBOX."-prefix for his folders, so we set

namespace inbox {
[...]
  separator = .
  prefix = INBOX.
[...]
}

on our new Dovecot 2.2.20 system.

And also we added:

imapc_list_prefix=INBOX

to avoid the dublication of the INBOX prefix.

At the end, doveadm/dsync/imapc see "INBOX.Virus", adds his Prefix, has
"INBOX.INBOX.Virus", deletes his imapc_list_prefix and the end we have
"INBOX.Virus" again which is identical to the source folder from Courier.

Works perfect BUT:

It looks like there is a "hidden feature" in Dovecot that always maps
"INBOX.INBOX" back to "INBOX". For me that looks like a workaround for
broken mailclients to fix some of the common problems after changing the
namespace prefix.

I never heard about that "hidden feature", but even if I don't (!) have
INBOX.INBOX:

root at imap01:~/MIGRATION # doveadm mailbox list -u test
INBOX
INBOX.Virus
INBOX.Spam
INBOX.Trash

I'm always able to access INBOX.INBOX which is identical to INBOX:

root at imap01:~/MIGRATION # doveadm fetch -u test uid mailbox INBOX.INBOX
uid: 1

Looks like there is such a magic-mapping and looks like this "hard coded
mapping" (?) breaks the imapc_list_prefix-magic.

If the user has on the SOURCE-server (Courier):

Source-Server:
 INBOX (5 messages)
 INBOX.Inbox (3 messages)

and I do migrate that user using doveadm/dsync/imapc, this user has on
the DESTINATION-server (Dovecot)

Destination-server:
 INBOX (5 messages)
 INBOX.Inbox (5 messages from "real INBOX")

and his 3 messages from INBOX.Inbox are lost.

I can NOT find any errors in the debug/error-output of
doveadm/dsync/imapc. From the view of doveadm everything worked perfect
as you can see in the attached logfile.

Or am I completly wrong?!

Peer

--
Heinlein Support GmbH
Schwedter Str. 8/9b, 10119 Berlin

http://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-42
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG: HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht
Berlin-Charlottenburg,