remote | local blocks in protocol settings

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Tue Jan 19 11:34:26 UTC 2016

On 15/1/2016 8:02 μμ, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

> Where can I find detailed documentation on how "remote" & "local"
> blocks are used in protocol configuration to provide specific settings
> for particular IPs/Names?
>
> I've been searching around (wiki2, Google) but I found very few
> things. I also checked in the conf.d directory of the installation and
> couldn't find anything.
>
> One useful thread was here:
>
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-June/050069.html
>
> where we can read about the "filter" hierarchy:
>
>    protocol name {
>       remote <ip|name> {
>         local <ip|name> {
>
> but I would really appreciate reading more complete documentation
> (and, hopefully, examples).
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Having received no reply, I tried using the above info by configuring:

    protocol imap {
       imap_client_workarounds = "delay-newmail"
       mail_plugins = quota imap_quota notify replication
       mail_max_userip_connections = 30
       remote 127.0.0.1 {
         mail_max_userip_connections = 1000
       }
    }

but it didn't work:

    Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line
    30: remote must not be under protocol

- The idea is to allow more connections to webmail than to individual
users. Am I thinking right?

Can you please help me in finding how to configure things properly?

By the way, the command "doveadm who" shows imap connections by users,
but it does not seem to show webmail connections. Any advice on this?

Thanks in advance,
Nick