remote | local blocks in protocol settings

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Tue Jan 19 14:04:44 UTC 2016

On 19/1/2016 3:31 μμ, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Change it the other way around:
>
> remote 127.0.0.1 {
>    protocol imap {
>    }
> }

Thank you for your advice Timo (on "remote" blocks).

So, the "remote" block should not have any parent (i.e. should not be
included in any other block)?

> Webmail probably just quickly opens and closes the connections, so there aren't any connections that are visible for more than a fraction of a second.

On the real issue: I am trying to identify why (just recently) webmail
users recently are increasingly facing the error: "ERROR : Connection
dropped by imap-server".

The docs I've read on webmail (squirrelmail) affirm your indication that
webmail IMAP connections should be closing quickly, so these should not
be the cause of the errors.

A few days ago, when I increased the global value of
"mail_max_userip_connections", I stopped seeing errors "Maximum number
of connections from user+IP exceeded" in dovecot log. However, the above
problem continues in webmail.

Using the command "doveadm who" I see relatively few connections, so I
am wondering what may be the cause.

Any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick