remote | local blocks in protocol settings

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 19 16:34:45 UTC 2016

> On 19 Jan 2016, at 16:04, Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr> wrote:
>
> On 19/1/2016 3:31 μμ, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> Change it the other way around:
>>
>> remote 127.0.0.1 {
>>   protocol imap {
>>   }
>> }
>
> Thank you for your advice Timo (on "remote" blocks).
>
> So, the "remote" block should not have any parent (i.e. should not be included in any other block)?

I just updated the error messages to be a bit more understandable:
https://github.com/dovecot/core/commit/0df899feada1f406122d7658894c77eeb10225a3

The nesting must be in this order or it'll give an error:

local 127.0.0.1 {
  local_name foo {
    remote 127.0.0.1 {
      protocol imap {
      }
    }
  }
}

>> Webmail probably just quickly opens and closes the connections, so there aren't any connections that are visible for more than a fraction of a second.
>
> On the real issue: I am trying to identify why (just recently) webmail users recently are increasingly facing the error: "ERROR : Connection dropped by imap-server".

1) Is there anything in Dovecot's error logs? For example any warnings about reaching a process limit?

2) If you can't find anything, try to find the matching webmail connection's disconnection message from Dovecot logs and see what it says the reason for disconnection was.

> A few days ago, when I increased the global value of "mail_max_userip_connections", I stopped seeing errors "Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded" in dovecot log. However, the above problem continues in webmail.

If that is reached, Dovecot logs it as the reason for the disconnection.