remote | local blocks in protocol settings

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 19:32:01 UTC 2016

Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr> wrote:

>> Pragmatically, I set it high enough so that it meets the need of most
>> clients, then deal with problems on a case by case basis
>
> Thank you very much Joseph for your quite useful advice and experience.
> Are you monitoring using "doveadm who"?

No, I occasionally look at log entries for "Maximum number of connections
from user+IP exceeded" errors.  I may look at the output of "doveadm who"
if I want to see a breakdown of how many clients a user is using, or just
getting an overall view of how my users are spread out.

>>> 4. How can we set a different value to this directive for webmail
>>> connections (coming from 127.0.0.1, ::1)?
>>
>> I don't know if there is another method, but at the very least, you
>> can start another dovecot instance with another config file that does
>> specific things for 127.0.0.1.
>
> I tried using a remote block for webmail, but without success yet.

If you can get that working, that would be the better method.  Running 2
different instances with 2 different config files might come in handy for
cases where you have very different policies between localhost/remote
networks.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>