sieve and authentication

Brendan Kearney bpk678 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 01:15:34 UTC 2016

when i telnet to the sieve instance running with dovecot, i see that
SASL is supported, but i cannot get thunderbird to connect to the sieve
instance.  it seems that i am not providing the right auth methods for
sieve to work.

"IMPLEMENTATION" "Dovecot Pigeonhole"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress
comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include
variables body enotify environment mailbox date index ihave duplicate"
"NOTIFY" "mailto"
"SASL" ""
"STARTTLS"
"VERSION" "1.0"
OK "Dovecot ready."

i am setup with gssapi and pain auth mechanisms and want to leverage
Kerberos / SASL for authentication.  what do i need to enable (and
where) to get sieve working in a MUA?  i tried adding the digest-md5
mechanism to the auth_mechanisms directive, but that does not work with
Kerberos (or maybe my implementation of Kerberos in my environment).

any ideas where i should be looking?

thanks

brendan