dsync: loss of keywords in 2.2.13

Benoit Branciard Benoit.Branciard at univ-paris1.fr
Wed Jan 20 19:32:39 UTC 2016

After some tests, we found that "dsync backup" sometimes fails to copy
all the IMAP "keywords" (labels) from the source mailbox to the backup one.

Our Dovecot version is 2.2.13 (Debian Jessie package 1:2.2.13-12~deb8u1).

We are migrating mailboxes from MBOX (with separate indexes) to MDBOX
(with custom DIRNAME) format.

The source mail_location is:
mail_location =
mbox:~/mail:INBOX=~/mail/INBOX:INDEX=/var/cache/dovecot/indexes/%16Hu/%u

and the target:
mail_location = mdbox:~/mdbox:DIRNAME=_@@_dbox-Mails_@@_

and we use the following dsync command to replicate (twice, a first
"hot" run, and a second "cold" run with lda and user kicked off).

dsync -o mail_access_groups=$mgroup -u "$login" backup
"mdbox:$mdbhome/mdbox:DIRNAME=_@@_dbox-Mails_@@_"

where $login is username, $mgroup is an UNIX group which has write
access to the (temporary chowned/chmoded) mailbox, and $mdbhome is the
new (MDBOX) user's home.

It appears that some keywords get replicated, but some other do not.

The only workaroud we found is to backup all keywords with "doveadm
fetch 'mailbox uid flags' keywords '*'", an restore them on the new
mailbox with "doveadm flags add". This solution yields no keyword loss.

has this problem already been addressed ?

--
Benoit BRANCIARD
Service InfraStructures (SIS)
Accueil: +33 1 44 07 89 65 - Assistance-DSIUN at univ-paris1.fr