dsync: INBOX Can't be deleted

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 24 18:47:12 UTC 2016

On 23 Jan 2016, at 11:30, Christoph Adomeit <Christoph.Adomeit at gatworks.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Migrating an old cyrus mailserver to dovecot.
>
> in the old cyrus Mailserver all User Mailboxes are
> sub-mailboxes of their INBOX.
>
> I have to preserve that structure.
>
> During Migration with dsync I get these Errors:
>
> Error: Mailbox INBOX sync: mailbox_delete failed: INBOX can't be deleted
>
> Is there a way to work around these Errors ?

With "doveadm backup" you have gotten into such a state that the INBOX needs to be deleted and recreated to preserve it exactly as it's in source. But you're using Maildir format, which doesn't allow deleting INBOX. So possibilities:

a) Don't use Maildir format

b) Delete the entire Maildir manually with rm -rf and the next doveadm backup should work (if not then something strange is going on)