ot: data consumption IMAP vs POP

Wed Jan 27 16:54:47 UTC 2016

On 1/27/2016 9:32 AM, Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Charles Marcus wrote:
>
>> On 1/27/2016 1:30 AM, Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:
>>> Sending bandwitdh can be reduced by using BCC instead of the IMAP append
>>> to the sent mailbox.
>> Can you elaborate on this?
>>
>> I would have thought that the IMAP Append command would *save* bandwidth
>> (as opposed to having the client save a copy to the Sent folder, thereby
>> uploading the full message a second time).
> This is exactly, what IMAP APPEND does: The client uploads the message via
> SMTP first and via IMAP a second time.

Oops, you're right...

I was thinking of the SMTP Submission Client service discussed here that
Timo said would be trivial to do (he said it would take a few lines of
code for postfix too, but Wietse seemed amenable to adding it)... I
think it may have been using BURL or something, but I'm not sure...

I'd really love to see this implemented. It would make a huge difference
for anyone who sends a lot of large attachments like we do.

> BTW: There is another annoyance with a limited bandwidth, when you compose
> a message, MUAs autosave the message into Draft in regular intervals.

Yeah - I usually disable this, and save manually. I generally either
finish and send an email, or start one so I won't forget about something
and immediately save it. I do want these available through IMAP, so I do
still want it saved to the IMAP Drafts folder, otherwise, if I had
bandwidth concerns about this and still wanted continuous auto save, I'd
pint my Drafts to the Local Folders Drafts...