Can you "doveadm search" with mailbox location instead of a user (-u option)?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 29 14:41:48 UTC 2016

> On 27 Jan 2016, at 15:53, Christian Rohmann <crohmann at netcologne.de> wrote:
>
> Hey dovecot-users!
>

> doveadm import offers to use i.e. a maildir as source and then import
> into a users mailbox referenced via "-u" option. If one wants to import
> only certain emails from the source a search-query can be given as well.

Yes, because import is importing mails from one location to another.

> I was wondering if doveadm search also does offer to search a mailbox
> referenced by filesystem path i.e.

Whereas search uses only one location.

> doveadm search maildir:/srv/mailboxes/example.com/mailbox123 NEW
>

> Maybe a fixed mailbox location via "-o
> mailbox_location=maildir:/srv/mailboxes/example.com/mailbox123" does
> work, but then it's rather a side effect as one needs to define a user
> via "-u" parameter anyways.

You can use:

doveadm -o mail=maildir:/srv/mailboxes/example.com/mailbox123 search new

You don't actually have to use the -u parameter, although doveadm may be using the wrong UID/GID/home then.