quota-status service

Michael Fox news at mefox.org
Sun Jul 3 18:04:38 UTC 2016

> The way I understand it is, this Quota service was built specifically
> for postfix. (I only have postfix, have not used any other MTA)
> The "quota-status" executable is in you libexec directory. ( I compiled
> my dovecot instance, hence is is not in "regular" directory)

Thanks.  I also responded to Aki, but to close the loop:  evidently
quota-status is newer than the version of dovecot on my Ubuntu 12.04
machine.  So I'll need to upgrade.

> The "quota_status_*" are responses to postifx. AFAIK, these are the only
> 3 possible options.
>
> Please see (
> https://sys4.de/en/blog/2013/04/08/postfix-dovecot-mailbox-quota/ ) for
> a detailed info on this
>
> When Postfix MTA is "inline" with the sender, and if you have correctly
> configured the quota service, it will check if the recipient's mailbox
> can accept mails. If the recipient is able to accept mail dovecot
> responds with "DUNNO" (as configured in "quota_status_success" ) to let
> postifx continue with its sender checks. if the recipient's mail box is
> unable to accept mails, the dovecot responds with "552 5.2.2 Mailbox is
> full" (as configured in "quota_status_overquota"), this will prevent
> postfix from accepting mail and will respond with 552 status .  All this
> is documented in that blog.

Thanks.  I saw the link to Hildebrandt's blog on the wiki.  (BTW, his
Postfix book is still great!)  And I understood the example.  But it didn't
cover the answers to my questions. Aki covered most of them.

Thanks again,
Michael