Dovecot delete and expunge loop

Robert L Mathews lists at tigertech.com
Tue Jul 5 22:49:59 UTC 2016

On 7/5/16 3:37 PM, Il Neofita wrote:
> I am using dovecot 2.0.9 with redhat 6.8
> One client with Outlook 2013 is deleting and expunging and email over and
> over changing the uid.
> I am not able to understand how to solve it.

Is this by any chance happening with the "Junk Email" folder? If so:
I've been seeing it happen occasionally with our customers for a couple
of years, and have never found any solution.

I suspect it to be a bug in Outlook (both 2013 and 2016), where it
incorrectly re-detects mail it finds in that folder as Junk again, and
then re-APPENDs it to the same folder, and so on. But I've never been
able to find any other reports of it, on any mail server software.

Disabling all the Junk controls in Outlook stops it. So does "chmod 0500
tmp" in the ".Junk E-mail" directory on the server.   :-)

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/