Moving Maildir folders

Peter Chiochetti pch at myzel.net
Sun Jul 17 09:01:57 UTC 2016

Am 2016-07-17 um 02:36 schrieb Mark Foley:
> Not quite there yet. The folders show up, but I cannot see the mail inside the folders unless
> (in the Thunderbird client) I uncheck the setting "Show only subscribed folders". Still, the
> top-level folder is shown as grayed-out/italics as well as the the sub-folder INBOX. All other
> sub-folder at the same level as INBOX are not grayed-out, nor are folders subordinate to INBOX:
>
> user at mydom.org <-- topmost "real" account folder
>    +Inbox
>    Drafts
>    Templates
>    send Items
>    Junk E-mail
>    Deleted Items
>    +bpatterson   <-- added Maildir folders from former user, grayed-out, italics
>      +INBOX      <-- grayed out, italic
>        Payabled  <-- not grayed
>        Health Care  <-- not grayed
>        :
>        :
>      Sent           <-- not grayed
>      Sent Items     <-- not grayed
>      Templates      <-- not grayed
>      Trash          <-- not grayed
>

> Furthermore, if I attempt to delete e.g. "Trash" I get an error, presumably from Dovecot: "The
> current command did not succeed. The mail server for account user at mydom.org responded:
> [ALREADYEXISTS] Target mailbox already exists." Seem like an odd error when trying to delete.
>

> Ideas?

With Maildir and path separator "." one can have incomplete paths: eg.
bpatterson.INBOX.2011 will say that there is 2011 within INBOX within
bpatterson -- while it is possible, that both bpatterson and
bpatterson.INBOX do not exist! Thunderbird will render the missing
folders gray in the UI, you probably cannot subscribe to those, even
from the subscribe dialogue. You should be able to create them though.

Also, you cannot delete a folder, when there is already a folder with
the same name inside of your Trash, i.e. Trash.Trash?

--
peter