SSL connection reset by peer

Vince42 dovecot at mx24.net
Mon Jul 25 22:26:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

[Steffen Kaiser] - [2016-07-25 08:23]
>> I am running a dovecot server and have set up an external monitoring,
>> where every five minutes a login with SSL on port 993 is done. I usually
>> get once a day an error "connection reset by peer - SSL connect", which
>> goes away until the next monitor is executed.

> that looks like a basic networking issue to me.
> Do you have logs how many users try to connect at this time? Is it
> always the same time range? Is the server load very high?

My server has nice specs (in fact a 30 times lower scaled server never
had this kind of problems), I also don't host many domains and users,
therefore I doubt that some kind of limit might be touched. I also
suspected some internal system load, but unfortunately the error occurs
arbitrarily, which makes me think that no scheduled process is
responsible for this. I also ran 'top' during such an event without any
obvious load tasks. The system statistics also show no weird peaks. I
read about the "running out of random" phenomenon, but during such an
event there were still enough resources random-wise.

Could it be that I need to offer more login processes or that I should
raise some of my configuration values? The mail_max_userip_connections
does not seem to solve the problem.

--
Cheers,                        \\|//
Vince                          (o o)