Sieve vacation address problem

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Wed Jul 27 19:23:25 UTC 2016

Op 7/27/2016 om 12:46 PM schreef Harald Leithner:
> Hi,
>
> it seams I have a problem with the vacation script.
>
> The problem is that the vacation answers to a address that is not
> listed in the sieve script. I checked the postfix master.conf which
> delivers to lda correct parameter.
>
> In the logfile you can see that that office at example.com received a
> message that get delivered to user at example.com (with the sievescipt)
> and to office at example.com (another user without script).
>
> The sieve script has the :addresses parameter only set to
> user at example.com
>
> Is something wrong with my setup?
>
> We use roundcube + sievemanage to create sieve scripts.

[...]
> --------------
> postfix master.conf
> dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda -f
> ${sender} -a ${original_recipient} -d ${user}@${nexthop} -e

First of all, the ":addresses" argument is not an exclusive list of
which addresses the vacation action will respond for. It is a list of
alternative addresses, for when the message headers have no address that
is recognized as the envelope recipient. So, even when ":addresses" does
not list a particular recipient address, the vacation action will still
respond for it if the message is addressed at that recipient explicitly
in the headers. Read https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5230#section-4.5 for
more info.

Due to the way you invoke dovecot-lda, Sieve only gets to see the
original recipient address, which is "office at example.com". I am
assuming, that is what is in either the "To" or "Cc" headers of the
message, which means that vacation will respond.

This problem is probably fixed by using a -r ${recipient} parameter for
dovecot-lda, in addition to the existing -a argument. This way, vacation
will use the final recipient address instead. LDA parameters are
documented here: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA#Parameters .

There is additional info in the description of the
sieve_vacation_use_original_recipient setting
(http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Extensions/Vacation#Configuration).
Leave this at the default "no" though, as "yes" would negate the fix
described above.

Regards,

Stephan.