POP3 & IMAP inbox setting for virtual

Michael Fox news at mefox.org
Fri Jul 29 03:20:20 UTC 2016

Posted Monday 7/25.  Haven't seen a response.  Trying again:

---

This is a noobie question, so bear with me if it's not worded correctly:

Primary Requirements:

1)  I'd like to have two namespaces - one private/per-user, and one public
(visible by all logged-in users).

The public mailbox(s) would be used to distribute information to all users.

2)  I'd like both POP3 and IMAP users to see both namespaces.

As I understand it, this requires the use of the virtual plugin for POP3, in
order to create a virtual namespace which would mix together the private and
public namespaces into one mailbox.

I have read:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual

https://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/02/11/dovecot-virtual-setup-mit-globaler-sieve-
spamfilter-regel-fur-pop3-nutzer/ (via Google translation)

The example uses a CASE statement in the MySQL userdb query.  As I
understand it, this is done to set which namespace contains the inbox:  the
private namespace or the virtual namespace -- depending on if the user is
connected via the imap or pop3 service, respectively.

Question:  how do I accomplish the same goal (setting the proper namespace
for the inbox) when using a passwd-file style flat file userdb?

Thanks,

Michael