Master-Master replication question

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Fri Jul 29 13:04:33 UTC 2016

http://blog.dovecot.org/2012/02/dovecot-clustering-with-dsync-based.html
> My understanding/assumption is that LDA delivers and updates indexes. I
> assume using LMTP delivers, updates indexes and kicks off a quick sync.
>

>   Out of curiousity, why do you use SMTP from the MX to the destination
>
>>> server instead of LMTP?
>>
>> My reason is because qmail does not support that. I am not sure if I
will
>> migrate to exim or postfix. Seems others have inquired about LMTP with
>> qmail,
>> might be something out there.
>

> I use qmail as well - that's why I wrote/hacked the LMTP script :)

I've gotten replication working with both LDA and LMTP.  Though I believe
the LDA replication that I've seen is actually from the IMAP
notify/replicaiton plugin. I've only done some preliminary testing. LMTP
replication is imemdiate when I use my LMTP perl script instead of procmail
or vdelivermail. Otherwise, as I said with LDA above, I'm not sure how
dovecot would know the indexes change from the front-end NFS mounted MX.

In any case, what I got stuck on was the mail_plugins.  The Replication
page seems to just refer to the global plugin settings, but you also have
to add them to each service.  That finally worked.

protocol imap {
  imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep
  mail_max_userip_connections = 25
  mail_plugins = " quota zlib stats notify replication imap_zlib quota
imap_quota NOTIFY REPLICATION"
}
protocol pop3 {
  mail_max_userip_connections = 25
  mail_plugins = quota NOTIFY REPLICATION
  pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = sieve REPLICATION NOTIFY
  userdb {
    args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
    driver = sql
    name =
  }
}
protocol lmtp {
  info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-lmtp.log
  mail_plugins = sieve quota REPLICATION NOTIFY