Sieve Script Replication Gliches (Report #2)

Reuben Farrelly reuben-dovecot at reub.net
Sun Jul 31 02:27:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've observed some odd behaviour with dsync replication between two
hosts, specifically to do with sieve script replication.

In short, I have two hosts which replicate in a master-master type setup
where almost all of the reads and writes happen to just one of the two
hosts.

They are both running 2.2.devel (9dc6403), which is close to the latest
2.2 -git .  Pigeonhole is running master-0.4 .  This is on x86_64 Gentoo.

Normal mail replication between Maildir's for all users works fine,
however it appears that something recently committed to the code has
broken sieve script replication between the two.  I am sure this did
once work.  Replication is via tcps: .

Sieve scripts on the lesser-used host are not up to date by an order of
days/weeks with the main host and they don't seem to re-replicate - even
if the rules don't exist at all on the replica.

The symptoms and effects look to be the same as this (unanswered) post
from December:

http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2015-December/102690.html

I am not sure how to view the transaction log files, but I am seeing the
same symptoms, ie no live replication, and on the lesser-used host
almost all the scripts were old and some had the 1970 date on them.

Even after forcing a [dsync replication replicate '*'] the scripts are
not replicated.  As it stands now there are no sieve scripts on one of
the two members and the system seems unable to replicate by itself.

Secondly, I am also seeing some doubled up outputs if I run 'doveadm
sieve list -A':

thunderstorm reuben # doveadm sieve list -A
reuben rules ACTIVE
liam rules ACTIVE
kaylene rules ACTIVE
reuben rules ACTIVE
liam rules ACTIVE
kaylene rules ACTIVE

Has anyone else experienced the replication problem?  Are sieve scripts
actually replicating in live time for other 2.2.24/2.2.25 users as well?
  For me I didn't notice this till I went looking so I wonder if other
people are experiencing this but just not aware of it yet...?

Reuben