Blowfish hashed passwords

KT Walrus kevin at my.walr.us
Mon Jun 6 00:36:35 UTC 2016

>> Maybe, Dovecot could just add support for BLF-CRYPT by using the open source implementation of Blowfish hashing found in https://github.com/php/php-src/tree/master/ext/standard <https://github.com/php/php-src/tree/master/ext/standard>. The implementation looks like a single function to generate the hash. I’m not much of a programmer, but it would seem to me that these .c/.h files could be added to Dovecot for doing BLF-CRYPT hashing.
>>
> It already does. As previously stated.

It doesn’t for me. I’m building Dovecot from source (v2.2.24) in a Docker container using Ubuntu 14.04.

Does BLF-CRYPT work for you?

Maybe I’m not building Dovecot correctly. I install libssl-dev and libmysqlclient-dev and do:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --with-mysql
$ make
$ make install

Am I missing some library/switch to enable BLF-CRYPT?

I just did a quick Google search, and it appears that Ubuntu 14.04 doesn’t have support for BLF-CRYPT according to this issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1349252 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1349252>

Actually, now that I’ve researched this a bit more, it was a mistake for my PHP app to make BLF-CRYPT password hashes since SHA512-CRYPT with a high number of rounds should be just as good. If Ubuntu 16.04 didn't add support for BLF-CRYPT, I guess I will have to implement a Checkpassword script for Dovecot that might generate SHA512-CRYPT replacement hashes after successfully checking against the BLF-CRYPT hashes. I’m no Dovecot expert, but I think I can have multiple passdbs so the first passdb mysql lookup will be set to fail if it finds a BLF-CRYPT hash so the Checkpassword script would only be run once per failed mysql lookup.

Hopefully, I just missed some ./configure switch to enable BLF-CRYPT and don’t have to deal with converting BLF-CRYPT to SHA512-CRYPT just for Dovecot.

Kevin