userdb for imap proxy

KT Walrus kevin at my.walr.us
Wed Jun 8 15:10:47 UTC 2016

> In proxy and director configuration you can configure only the passdb lookup.

Thanks. I got my installation working yesterday. I have proxies for LMTP and IMAP (no POP3) backed by a farm of Dovecot servers. The IMAP proxy listens on 70 different IPs/ports and does passdb lookups to authenticate the users based on the incoming IP/port. The passdb lookups select the particular backend server containing the user’s mailbox. SMTP (Postfix) does authentication through the IMAP proxy and mail delivery through the LMTP proxy. I haven’t bothered to set up an SMTP proxy yet, since my SMTP server will only handle submission and not relay. Submitted messages are queued to a Redis queue for importation into a MySQL database where the messages are held giving the sender the ability to edit/delete their messages before midnight. Messages are sent out to the recipient mailboxes in the early morning through another internal SMTP server talking to the LMTP proxy.

For my site, I only want to delivery new messages once a day (in the early morning) with the sender/mailbox admin having the opportunity to edit/delete the messages the day it is sent by the sender.

All appears to be working well, but I’m currently only doing SSL/TLS on the edge (in SMTP/IMAP) and haven’t figured out how to do SSL from end to end. I’m not sure if end to end SSL is important for my site, but it seems to be a trend that should not be ignored.

Kevin