password expire warning for dovecot users in IMAP/POP login

KT Walrus kevin at my.walr.us
Wed Jun 8 15:26:21 UTC 2016

> I think the easiest solution it to send a mail to the user that the password will expire. A cron job and a shell script should do the work.
> I don't know any mechanism to send this kind of message via POP.

I agree with you. Don’t bother trying to alert the user when he logs in (where there is no universal client support for such alerts). But, simply send a notification message from a cron script to their mailbox (a couple days before expiration). You could mark the message as high priority/urgent just in case their client displays such messages more prominently than normal inbox new messages. IMAP or POP login is usually done by the email client in the background and the user isn’t necessarily even around to handle the alert. But, clients are used to alerting the user that they have new mail.

So, simply sending a notification message, from a cron job, to their INBOX is definitely the way I would go.

Kevin