postfix+dovecot and usernames different to e-mail addresses

Wolfgang Rosenauer wrosenauer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 20:45:02 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Benjamin <dovecot at benjaminhubert.at> wrote:

> My dovecot-ldap configuration looks quite simple:
>
>   hosts = 192.168.0.1,192.168.0.2
>   dn = cn=mailadmin,dc=example,dc=com
>   dnpass = foo
>   auth_bind = yes
>   ldap_version = 3
>   base = ou=users,dc=example,dc=com
>   user_attrs = mailMessageStore=home
>   user_filter = (&(objectClass=qmailUser)(uid=%u))
>   pass_filter = (&(objectClass=qmailUser)(uid=%u))
>
> I think dovecot does not know that the username is not the e-mail address,
> but how can I tell him?
>
> Furthermore we have alternative addresses here, so for example there may
> be an e-mail address bar at example.com owned by foo-example.com who has
> foo at example.com as primary address.

You need user_filter and pass_filter to recognize also the email addresses
IMHO.

Mine look like:
pass_filter = (&(objectClass=suseMailRecipient)(|(alias=%n)(uid=%n)))
user_filter = (&(objectClass=suseMailRecipient)(|(alias=%n)(uid=%n)))

You have to adapt to your own ldap attributes and use the correct variable
(%n) to match your usecase. My users can login (and receive mails) via all
of their aliases, primary address (part of the alias set) or their username.

HTH,
Wolfgang