postfix+dovecot and usernames different to e-mail addresses

Wolfgang Rosenauer wrosenauer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 16:26:23 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Benjamin <dovecot at benjaminhubert.at> wrote:

> Ok. The problem seems to be something different. I found out that even if
> I pass the real username (foo-example.com) to dovecot-lda, dovecot tells
> me
>
>   Error: User initialization failed: Namespace 'INBOX.': Home directory
> not set for user. Can't expand ~/ for mail root dir in: ~/Maildir
>
> Why does dovecot find the home when accessed via IMAP, but not when
> accessed via dovecot-lda?

actually good question. I have to admit I only use LMTP and for that it
works for me.
I left out some more settings which might be important for you:
pass_attrs = uid=user
user_attrs =
uid=user,=uid=600,=gid=600,=home=/srv/dovecot/%n,suseImapQuota=quota_rule=*:storage=%{ldap:suseImapQuota}M

since obviously the search itself it not sufficient. You need to make sure
that the right mailbox is addressed in the end via the uid=user
In your configuration you do not return a user at all so this can be a
problem IMHO.