Advice on once a day message delivery setup

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:44:28 UTC 2016

KT Walrus <kevin at my.walr.us> writes:

> Just looking for any advice? I kind of like the idea of modeling my
> mail service after the US Post Office where the mailman delivers new
> mail once a day rather than like Twitter/Facebook where messages are
> posted in real time to encourage users to monitor their boxes
> throughout the day.

You've rediscovered digesting, which many mailing list (including this
one), will batch up messages and periodically send them as one large
message (using MIME multipart or some other combination technique).
The only difference is that your doing it at the receiving end.

I wouldn't recommend it for all mail, but it could be useful to aggregate
high-volume low-priority mail into managable chunks.  There are many
ways you could accomplish it, but the most straightforward way is to
deliver new mail to sideline mailbox, and have a cron script deliver
them to the user's INBOX (possibly digesting them into one message).

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>