tlsv1 alert unknown ca: SSL alert number 48

Maurizio Dall'Acqua pi at lab2000-linux.homepc.it
Fri Jun 17 20:14:04 UTC 2016

I have tried all the suggestions up till now but the error message is still
there.

I have tried this configuaration for roundcube:

 $config['imap_conn_options'] = array(
   'ssl' => array(
     'peer_name' => '<FQDN_OF_DOVECOT_CERTIFICATE>',
     'verify_peer' => true,
     'verify_depth' => 3,
//   'cafile' => '/dont/need/to/set/this/option',
   ),
 );

and this one:

 $config['imap_conn_options'] = array(
   'ssl' => array(
     'verify_peer' => false,
     'verify_peer_name' => false,
   ),
 );

and this one too:

$config['imap_conn_options'] = array(
  'ssl'         => array(
  'verify_peer'  => true,
  'verify_depth' => 3,
  'cafile'       => '/path/to/my/self/signed/certificate.pem',
   ),
 );

I'm at a loss :-(