archive all saved IMAP messages

KT Walrus kevin at my.walr.us
Sat Jun 18 14:46:07 UTC 2016

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 8:01 PM, chaouche yacine <yacinechaouche at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I'm also interested in learning how to do this best. Last time I thought about it is if users have a different e-mail address on the archive server, you can setup a BCC map in postfix that matches the pair of emails (primary email -  archive email), this will automatically send all sent messages in the inbox of the archived email account. In that archive server you can setup sieve rules to move the emails to the sent folder. But that's rather a complicated solution, besides it doesn't work draft folder.

Yes. I already have Postfix set up to send a copy of all incoming messages to an archival Dovecot mail server. This was rather easy to do since I have Postfix deliver all inbound messages to a shell script that queues the message in a Redis queue and then sends the message to the archive.

But, my issue is capturing all IMAP saved messages (via IMAP APPEND command). Is there any way to “hook” into the APPEND action to send a copy of the message to the archival Dovecot mail server? I’d really like to just post-process the APPENDED messages with a shell script that is similar to my Postfix shell script (that queues to Redis and sends to the archive).

How do I configure Dovecot IMAP for this use case?

Kevin