Fedora + Dovecot - only one client can connect per user?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Jun 20 02:15:21 UTC 2016

Howdy -

I am running dovecot-2.2.24-1.fc23.x86_64 on Fedora 23. It's up to date
as of last night.

When I log in from a desktop using Thunderbird on Linux, my Android
phone (Nexus 6P) stops receiving mail. It happens if I'm on my laptop or
my desktop.

My wife has the same problem using Thunderbird on Windows. If she leaves
the house and forgets to shut down her MUA, her phone can't retrieve
messages.

Is this expected behavior? Can I change it? I feel like it's pretty
common for folks to have multiple devices which access the same mail
account. Between phones, tablets, PCs, etc., this seems like a pretty
common scenario.

It's a pretty vanilla setup:

[root at wintermute ~]# dovecot -n
# 2.2.24 (a82c823): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 4.4.4-301.fc23.x86_64 x86_64 Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_cipher_list = PROFILE=SYSTEM
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

Thanks!