Postfix and Dovecot LDA vs. LMTP

Michael Fox news at mefox.org
Fri Jun 24 16:20:08 UTC 2016

I'm new to Dovecot and will be using it with Postfix.  I'm looking for
recommendations regarding the use of Dovecot's LDA or LMTP for virtual
mailbox delivery.

Many of the simple examples on the wiki use LDA.  So I've set that up
initially.  But apparently an advantage of LMTP is recipient verification.
So, as I understand it, LMTP would let Postfix know whether or not the
message was deliverable to a local virtual recipient without needing to have
a separate virtual recipients map in Postfix.  That sounds like a nice
simplification.

But I see in Ubuntu that the dovecot-lmtp package is not marked with the
Canonical support icon, like the pop, imap, and other packages are.  I don't
have a contract with Canonical.  But I'm wondering why they would not
support the lmtp package when they do support most of the others.  Is it
possible that the dovecot LMTP package is not as stable or reliable?

I'd appreciate comments from experienced users of postfix with dovecot.  Are
you using Dovecot LDA or LMTP and why?

Thanks much,

Michael