dsync unstable? (other strange detail)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 28 21:30:38 UTC 2016

On 27 Jun 2016, at 08:28, Heiko Schlittermann <hs at schlittermann.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to migrate from Cyrus (remote side) to Dovecot 2.2.24 (local).
> On the local side the destinations folders, and indexes are empty.
>
> The command I'm using is
>
> doveadm \
>        -o mail_plugins= \
>        -o imapc_master_user=<cyrus-user> \
>        -o imapc_password=<cyrus-password> \
>        -o imapc_host=<cyrus-ip> \
>        \
>        -o imapc_ssl_verify=no \
>        -o imapc_ssl=imaps \
>        -o imapc_port=993 \
>        backup -f -u "heiko" -R imapc: \
>        || {
>                rc=$?
>                echo "EXIT: $rc" >&2
>                exit $rc
>        }
>
> On successive runs of the above command I get:
>
>    dsync(heiko): Warning: Deleting mailbox 'Serververwaltung.Mailinglisten Anforderung': UID=16 GUID= is missing locally

This means that on Dovecot side there are messages after UID=16, but either:

a) UID=16 was expunged from Dovecot side or

b) UID=16 suddenly appeared on Cyrus side even though it wasn't there earlier. This isn't allowed by IMAP standard.

Dovecot can't insert UIDs, so it'll delete the folder and re-sync everything on the next run.

> Any idea where to look next? Is 'doveadm backup' the wrong tool for such
> migration? (I'd say with about 2.2.9 I had similar problems, but at
> least it didn't stop at every subfolder.)

If you allow local access already that can do modification, use doveadm sync -1 after that.