Timout for LDAP connection

Gordon Grubert gordon.grubert+lists at uni-greifswald.de
Thu Mar 3 08:55:32 UTC 2016

Hello Christian,

On 03/03/2016 09:09 AM, Christian Schmidt wrote:
> Hello Gordon,
>
> On 29.02.2016 16:18, Gordon Grubert wrote:
>> we are using a round robin dns record for connections to our ldap
>> system. This works fine for almost all cases. In particular, for
>> dovecot does this mean, when an ldap server is stopped, dovecot
>> instantly reconnects to another ldap server.
>>
>> But when the network connection to the active ldap server is broken,
>> dovecot sticks to the failed ldap server. Is there any possibility to
>> define a connection timeout?
>
> What about replicating the directory onto the dovecot host and send the
> ldap queries to localhost?

of course, this would be possible. E.g., for our DNS we are using
exactly this solution. But this means, there is one additional daemon.
Additionally, this leads to an mailserver interruption when updating
the local ldap daemon. But you are right, the "connection loss" problem
over the network can be prevented.

Best regards,
Gordon