questions regarding zlib plugin

Alessio Cecchi alessio at skye.it
Mon Mar 7 13:13:00 UTC 2016

Il 04/03/2016 14:35, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> faced with a current space problem on our dovecot 2.2.18 server, I
> thought about using the zlib plugin.
>
> My questions:
>
> - is it really as simple as adding the options to the conf files as
> described in the docs :) ? http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Zlib

Yes, we had enable it on Maildir/ without problems.

> - As this just compresses new messages; dose anybody has a sort of
> simple cron or whatever script or best practice how to compress existing
> maildir mails? The doc is a bit complicated to me at that point...

We had created a custom script but you can find many example on the web:

https://gist.github.com/cs278/1490556

I suggest to do not use script that rename email files because they can
invalid the uidlist. Simple check if the file is already compress (es.
if gzip -t "${MAILFILE}" 2> /dev/null".

--
Alessio Cecchi
Postmaster @ http://www.qboxmail.it