Using dsync to synchronize laptop against remote server

Dato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Thu Mar 10 06:36:10 UTC 2016

Hello!

I’m thinking of changing the way I sync mail to my laptop, and I
have a couple questions about my intended setup.

In brief, my plan is: instead of running offlineimap against
various IMAP accounts (my personal one included), I will run
fetchmail on my private server, and classify mail with Sieve
there.

Then I’ll run a local Dovecot on my laptop, and do a master/master
replication from my personal server/account with dsync.

I have two quick questions about this (I have never used dsync
before):

  1. Reading the manual page, it seems that I probably want
     stateful synchronization (-s flag).

     Not having used it before, I’m curious about what lag I can
     expect. Does it compare to an IMAP IDLE/IMAP NOTIFY
     connection? Or is it asynchronous / with a timer?

  2. I assume modifying my local Maildirs with e.g. Mutt is... a
     big no-no? Instead, should I always force Mutt to go through
     the local IMAP server?

Many thanks in advance,
-d