NetApp NFS vs. ZFS and NFS for Maildir

Alessio Cecchi alessio at skye.it
Fri Mar 11 14:22:15 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm evaluating to switch from NetApp to a ZFS appliance (like Qsan). Our
setup is Dovecot, Maildir for email storage and NFS to share mailboxes
(more than 30k users) across POP/IMAP and MX servers.

NetApp NFS works fine also under high load but have some limitation for
inode numbers per Volume and is expensive (but recently their prices
have dropped).

ZFS, I read, suggest to create many small Raid Group to increase IOPS,
but this configuration (N Raid instead of one RAID-DP like NetApp) is
more complex to manage, or not?

Someone has experiences with ZFS and NFS(v3) in high load environments?

Thanks
--
Alessio Cecchi
Postmaster @ http://www.qboxmail.it