lmtp timeout, locks and crashes

Tom Sommer mail at tomsommer.dk
Thu Mar 17 12:41:11 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-15 10:53, Tom Sommer wrote:
> I'm seeing some problems on accounts which get a lot of spam (like, a
> lot).

I did an "strace" on one of the hundreds of lmtp processes.

It's doing stat() on all files in the new folder for the receiver:

stat("/var/mail/dovecot/xxxx/xxxx/new/xx.xxx.xxxx.xxxx.com",
{st_mode=S_IFREG|0600, st_size=15505, ...}) = 0

etc.

The "new" folder contains hundreds of thousands of files.

Is there any way to prevent all these stat() calls? It seems like
something there would be an index or cache for?

Thanks

// Tom