Cannot connect to Dovecot IMAP or POP

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Fri May 6 00:17:41 UTC 2016

C. Andrews Lavarre writes:

> Presumably, as Joseph shows with his nc call, imap calls are to ServerName mail.privustech.com.

No, nc is just a dumb tool -- it knows nothing about IMAP or SSL.  You didn't
even get to the SSL handshake.  Your problem has nothing to do with the
interaction of client and server -- it's strictly a server problem.

>	ssl = required
> 	ssl_cert = </etc/apache2/ssl.crt/mail.privustech.com_start.crt
> 	ssl_key = </etc/apache2/ssl.key/mailprivustech.key
> 	ssl_ca = </etc/apache2/ssl.crt/mailprivustech_root_bundle.crt

ssl_ca is not analogous to Apache's SSLCertificateChainFile.  I believe "ssl_ca"
is used to validate clients (i.e. mutual authentication).
You ought to concatenate your intermediate CA chain certificates and
your public key into ssl_cert.

See

 	http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotConfiguration

Also, anything enlinghtening  in the logs when ssl_verbose turned on?

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>