Errors on Cross-Protocol Locking nbmand (ZFS Solaris)

Andrew Watkins andrew at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Tue May 17 12:57:38 UTC 2016

Hello,

I get the following errors when I move large e-mails (i.e. about 15MB)
into mail files.

May 17 13:26:48 mailer3 dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.error] imap(andrew):
Error: fdatasync() failed with mbox file
/home/andrew/Mail/nbmandON/mbox: Permission denied
May 17 13:26:48 mailer3 dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.error] imap(andrew):
Error: ftruncate() failed with mbox file
/home/andrew/Mail/nbmandON/mbox: Permission denied
May 17 13:26:48 mailer3 dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.error] imap(andrew):
Error: close() failed with mbox file /home/andrew/Mail/nbmandON/mbox:
Permission denied

Background I am using Solaris 11 ZFS & SMB for my users home files with
Solaris SMB protocol mandatory locking (nbmand=on)

If I turn nbmand=off then I do not get any errors, so it is to do with
SMB locking.

I know this may not be a dovecot error, but any pointers why it is doing
this so that I can report it to Oracle. I tried creating a small C
program to mimic the same problem but no luck, since I know it would
make it easier to get Oracle to fix it.

# /usr/local/dovecot/sbin/dovecot  --version
2.2.24 (a82c823)

Thanks for now,

Andrew

--
Andrew Watkins * Birkbeck, University of London * Computer Science *
* http://notallmicrosoft.blogspot.com *