Errors on Cross-Protocol Locking nbmand (ZFS Solaris)

Andrew Watkins andrew at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Tue May 17 16:40:52 UTC 2016

On 05/17/16 17:01, Tom Talpey wrote:
> On 5/17/2016 8:57 AM, Andrew Watkins wrote:
>> Background I am using Solaris 11 ZFS & SMB for my users home files with
>> Solaris SMB protocol mandatory locking (nbmand=on)
>>
>> If I turn nbmand=off then I do not get any errors, so it is to do with
>> SMB locking.
>
> Posix doesn't have mandatory locking, so it doesn't surprise me that
> you get issues from Dovecot. Can you just leave nbmand=off? If not,
> have you tried Dovecot's other locking methods, such as dotlock?

For got to mention that the user files are on NFS file server and are
being severed to NFS clients (including the Dovecot server) and SMB
clients, so really I should have "Cross-Protocol Locking" on.

I may end up switching it off nbmand=off since it is very unlikely that
any file will be accessed from both a NFS client and a SMB client at the
same time, but I thought I would look into it to see if the problem
could be fixed in Solaris.

I will also look at the dotlock options.

Thanks,

Andrew

--
Andrew Watkins * Birkbeck, University of London * Computer Science *
* http://notallmicrosoft.blogspot.com *