passwd mismatch

Mike Ponto ifrpilot541 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 22:07:06 UTC 2016

I have been trying to follow the "instructions" at
"http://blog.iandreev.com/?p=1975#dovecot" and they seem to be pretty
good.  everything works until I get to the part were I test the dovecot
installation and it keeps failing.
I get an AUTH fail error at the "telnet localhost 110" login commands

I am trying to setup 3 domains:
domain1.us
domain2.com
domain3.com
I have 4 users entered in the /etc/dovecot/users file
I followed the instructions for creating an encrypted password but don't
think it is correct and I don't have the knowledge to say why.  Just
doesn't feel right.

I admit I am over my head and the learning curve just got exponential -
any help at all would be really appreciated.

System:
QEMU/KVM vitrual install
Centos 7.01
basic install
4096 G Ram
4 proc
120 G HD

unit is behind an IPCop firewall with port forwarding.
internal IP 192.168.1.155
external IP on request

have username in /etc/dovecot/users as such:
mynamehere at mydomainhere.us:

Turned on debuggin and log file shows:
May 18 16:45:02 auth: Debug: auth client connected (pid=5639)
May 18 16:45:16 auth: Debug: client in: AUTH    1    PLAIN
service=pop3    secured session=2pP4xSQzzgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB
lip=::1 rip=::1 lport=110    rport=33742     $
May 18 16:45:16 auth: Debug:
passwd-file(mynamehere at mydomainhere.us,::1,<2pP4xSQzzgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>):
lookup: user=mynamehere at mydomainhere.us file=/etc/dovecot/users
May 18 16:45:16 auth: Info:
passwd-file(mynamehere at mydomainhere.us,::1,<2pP4xSQzzgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>):
Password mismatch
May 18 16:45:18 auth: Debug: client passdb out: FAIL    1
user=mynameherel at mydomainhere.us
May 18 16:45:20 pop3-login: Info: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts
in 4 secs): user=<mynamehere at mydomain.us>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1,
lip=::1, secured, session=<2pP4xSQzzgAAAAAA$