Dovecot-FTS:

Michael Kliewe mkliewe at gmx.de
Fri May 20 14:56:10 UTC 2016

Hi Peer,

On 20.05.2016 14:19, Peer Heinlein wrote:
> We're running Dovecot with SOLR Lucene 5.5 and we have several errors like
>
> badMessage: 414 for
> HttpChannelOverHttp at 5216da8e{r=0,​c=false,​a=IDLE,​uri=-}
> 20.5.2016, 14:10:16
>
> and
>
> URI is too large >8192
>
> in our solr-logfile.
>
> I don't know if this is a problem in SOLR or in Dovecot, so I just bring
> it to your attention.
>
> Peer

Maybe increasing maxHttpHeaderSize="65536" in your Tomcat Connector
definition in /etc/tomcat7/server.xml helps. But as far as I know the
default URI limit should be 32k, not 8k...
Do you have a HTTP proxy in front of your SOLR servers? Apache has a
request limit of 8k for example...
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#limitrequestline

Problem seems to be that some clients (iOS?) are doing very strange
SEARCH commands, with many OR conditions, which results in very long
search requests to SOLR...

Michael